(Chicago) – We have a new tasty and healthy–heavy on the tasty–chicken recipe: Chicken and Broccoli Bake. This is not your grandmother’s chicken recipe. You’re going to love this. Promise.
Thanks to Produce for Better Health and the Connecticut Departments of Public Health and Social Services, each serving of the Chicken and Broccoli Bake is only 170 calories and has only 5 grams of fat. And at .95¢ per serving it is a light-weight budget choice, too.
Here what you need to know:
Yield: 8 servings
|1 cup||rice, uncooked|
|1 package||broccoli, frozen (10 ounce)|
|3 cups||chicken, cooked|
|2 tablespoons||margarine (or butter)|
|2 cups||chicken broth|
|1⁄4 cup||Parmesan cheese (optional)|
1. Cook rice in 2 cups of water.
2. Let broccoli thaw.
3. Chicken should be off the bone.
4. Melt butter in large sauce pan.
5. Add flour to melted margarine and stir. This will be lumpy.
6. Use broth from chicken you cooked or use canned chicken broth. Slowly add broth to margarine/flour. Stir to remove lumps and thicken.
7. Add cheese and stir.
8. Add rice, broccoli, and chicken. Stir.
9. Put in a casserole pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Per recipe: $7.62
Per serving: $0.95
Produce for Better Health and Connecticut Departments of Public Health and Social Services