(Chicago) – Vital Bridges today offers a healthy recipe that mixes the best of health and budget while tickling taste buds: Bean and Rice North of the Border Burritos. ¡Olé!
From our friends at Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Program and Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network, the bean and rice burrito healthy recipe has 360 calories per burrito and costs only $3.14 for 8 burritos or .39¢ per serving. What’s not to like?
Here’s what you need to know:
|2 cups||rice (cooked)|
|1||onion (small, chopped)|
|2 cups||kidney beans (cooked, or one 15 ounce can, drained)|
|8||flour tortillas (10 inch)|
|1⁄2 cup||grated cheese|
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Peel the onion, and chop it into small pieces.
3. Drain the liquid from the cooked (or canned) kidney beans.
4. Mix the rice, chopped onion, and beans in a bowl.
5. Put each tortilla on a flat surface.
6. Put 1/2 cup of the rice and bean mix in the middle of each tortilla.
7. Fold the sides of the tortilla to hold the rice and beans.
8. Put each filled tortilla (burrito) in the baking pan.
9. Bake for 15 minutes.
10. While the burritos are baking, grate 1/2 cup cheese.
11. Pour the salsa over the baked burritos. Add cheese.
12. Serve the burritos warm.
13. Eat. Enjoy.
Per recipe: $3.14
Per serving: $0.39