(Chicago) – Let’s talk healthy dessert – but with taste. Ok? Vital Bridges has an easy, inexpensive, and healthy dessert recipe: Southern Banana Pudding. Oh, yum!
From the National Institutes of Health, this Southern Banana Pudding recipe has only 140 calories and only 20 calories from fat, and costs only .57¢ per serving.
Ready? Let’s get cookin’.
Here’s what you need to know:
|3 3⁄4 cups||milk (fat-free)|
|2||instant vanilla pudding and pie-filling mix (small packages 4 serving size, fat-free, sugar free)|
|32||vanilla wafers (reduced-fat)|
|2||banana (medium, sliced)|
|2 cups||frozen whipped topping (fat-free, thawed)|
1. Mix 3½ cups of the milk with the pudding mixes. Beat the pudding mixture with a wire whisk for 2 minutes until it is well blended. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Fold 1 cup of the whipped topping into the pudding mix.
3. Arrange a layer of wafers on the bottom and sides of a 2-quart serving bowl. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the remaining milk over the wafers. Add a layer of banana slices and top with one-third of the pudding.
4. Repeat layers, drizzling wafer layer with remaining milk and ending with pudding. Spread the remaining whipped topping over the pudding.
5. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
6. Eat. Enjoy.
Per recipe: $5.72
Per serving: $0.57
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style