The holidays are a wonderful time to enjoy friends, family and food! The merriness and good times frequently result in weight gain, but following a few simple steps can prevent your feeling like Santa Claus while ringing in the New Year.
- Don’t skip any meals before attending parties—this can lead to overeating at the parties. Remember that breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
- Eat lots of veggies before filling up on the hearty entrees! Eat a salad and the lighter vegetable sides before loading up on the holiday ham, mashed potatoes and cream-laden casseroles. You’ll eat less with a stomach full of veggies!
- Remember that this isn’t the last time to eat your favorite holiday foods. Even if your items are considered a holiday food, there’s nothing to prevent you from making them year-round or enjoying the leftovers!
- Exercise! Take a family walk around the block after indulging in your holiday turkey or ham. Even a small bit of movement will help keep off those holiday pounds.
- Don’t forget to sleep and relax! Holidays are often stressful, trying to put too much activity into too little time. Stress-eating is another source of unwanted calories.
Following these steps can help you enjoy a festive holiday season without the extra weight. Happy Holidays!