(Chicago) – When is chicken both healthy and tasty? When it is Southern Garlic Stuffed Chicken. Vital Bridges has a swell Southern Garlic Stuffed Chicken recipe that is both economical and nutritious.
From the folks at the University of Maryland Health Partnership, Southern Garlic Stuffed Chicken has only 170 calories per each 4-ounce serving and has only 50 calories from fat.
And at only $1.67 per serving, that is an easy price to swallow for people on a tight budget.
Here’s what you need to know to prepare this four-serving main dish at home:
|8||garlic clove (unpeeled)|
|6 tablespoons||fresh parsley (chopped, divided)|
|1 teaspoon||lemon zest (grated)|
|1 teaspoon||sodium-free seasoning blend|
|4||chicken breast (4 ounce, with skin)|
|1⁄4 cup||chicken broth (reduced sodium)|
|2 tablespoons||lemon juice (fresh)|
1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add garlic; cook for 10 minutes. Drain garlic, peel and cut into thin slices. In a small bowl, combine garlic, 1/2 cup of chopped parsley, lemon zest, and seasoning. Mix well.
2. Loosen skin from each chicken breast to form a pocket. Place about 1 teaspoon of garlic mixture under skin of each breast. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add chicken skin-side down; cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Turn chicken; reduce heat to medium.
4. Cover and cook until no longer pink in center, about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Wipe any fat away from the skillet.
5. Add remaining chopped parsley, broth, and lemon juice to pan. Bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Spoon mixture over chicken.
6. Serve, eat, enjoy.
Per recipe: $6.66
Per serving: $1.67
Seat Pleasant/University of Maryland Health Partnership, Health Cookbook Recipes for African American Populations